Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Valentine's Decorating...lots of pics!

I wasn't going to decorate for Valentine's Day, but I was guilted into it by my mother......then once I started, I couldn't stop!  I LOVE all of the Valentine's stuff that people have been posting and pinning!  After a trip to Hobby Lobby and digging around my craft room a bit, I got on a roll.

I started by making a heart garland.  I saw several cute ones on Pinterest, so I combined a couple of ideas to come up with this one.  The inspiration garland was made of paper.  Since I had lots of fabric scraps and no Valentine's paper, I decided to try it with fabric. 

Each heart is two-sided (two different fabrics).  I sewed each one up the center and then allowed for about 5-6 stitches in between each heart.


It looks cute hanging vertically too!


 I strung it through the candelabra above my buffet.


Next, I decided to make something with some cool jute webbing that I picked-up at Hobby Lobby for only $0.99/yard.  Whipperberry blogged about a really neat growth chart made of this stuff awhile back and I wondered where it could be found.  I found it by accident in the drapery section at HL when I was buying trim for my new sewing chair rescue.  I got out my stencils, some red paint, a Sharpie, and went to town. 










I paraphrased a Scripture passage from I Corinthians 13 and here's what I came up with:


I was going to use it as a table runner, but then I didn't want to cover-up any of the words.  So, after moving it around the room several times, it ended-up on the wall above my antique ceiling tile display piece.  (I use the tiles to display family photos and plan to put any Valentine's we receive up there too!)

It says: "Love is...patient, kind, not easily angered! Always protects, trusts, hopes, perseveres!"
Next, I finished up my buffet decor by scattering paper doily hearts and adding colored candles to a silver-plated candle holder (thrift store find!).....easy, cute, and cheap. 


I added Valentine's chocolates to my tiered candy holder (I made this at Christmas out of dollar store glass candle sticks, glass glue, and nickel trays!) and cute little ornaments (from Hobby Lobby) to my re-bar tree!

The buffet decked out for Valentine's Day!
The dining table got an updated centerpiece...simple and not too fussy.

Next, I "Valentine-ified" the wreath on my door.  I just added some glittery hearts and the word "Love" to my current red winterberry wreath.

For my entryway nook, I purchased this cute DIY frame craft at Hobby Lobby (30% off this week) and spray painted it silver.  Then, I antiqued it a little with a dark stain and added my son's picture! 

I was super excited to find that Alison at Oopsey Daisy Blog had posted a FREE Alphabet Printable that is ultra-cute!

I was also inspired by Lovely Crafty Home's post on coffee filter flower wreaths this week.  So, I used this great tutorial on how to make coffee filter flowers and made a dozen pink flowers!  Aren't they so much prettier than store-bought silks?

I found the red and white ribbon for 50% off this week at Hobby Lobby.  A few more doily hearts, glitter heart picks, sparkly red & silver tissue paper, and viola: a Valentine's nook!

Much Love,





Pin It

This post is linked to: Tales of a Trophy Wife, Creatively Living's Tell-It-To-Me Tuesday #5, Not Just a Housewife's Show-Me-What-Ya-Got #59, Oopsey Daisy's Wednesday Wowzers #5, Gingersnap Crafts' Wow Me Wenesday #36, Uncommonly Yours #13, Someday Craft's Whatever Goes Wednesday #102, I Gotta Create!'s Kiss & Tell Week 5, Somewhat Simple's Strut Your Stuff Linky Party, Shabby Creek Cottage's Transformation Thursday, My Repurposed Life's Catch As Catch Can 60, Rustic Crafts' Shabby Shares Saturday, Be Different, Act Normal's Show-and-Tell Saturday, Our DIY Diaries Fab-Not-Drab #5, I Can't Stop Crafting's Head-to-Head Showdown #12, Weekend Wrapup at TaterTots & Jello, Lovely Crafty Home's Lovely Crafty Weekend #58, Wayward Girls' Wayward Weekend #3, Nifty Thrify Sunday #43, Flamingo Toes' Think Pink Sunday #47, Under the Table & Dreaming: Sunday Showcase #87, Homemaker on a Dime's Creative Bloggers Party Hop, Keeping It Simple's Motivate Me Monday #108, CraftOManiac Monday, Singing 3 Little Birds: Inspire Me Monday, The Girl Creative

7 comments:

  1. awesome ideas.. ty for sharing ..I can't wait to put them to good use .. woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man you were busy. Glad you were guilted into-looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I love the bunting!

    If you're interested, Wayward Girls’ Crafts is just getting our linky party going. Please stop by and link up! http://www.waywardgirlscrafts.com/2012/02/wayward-weekend-week-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many fantastic ideas!! And it's so neat to see you used my printable! Yay! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. everything is great, but my fav is definitely the writing on the webbing! that's fabulous.
    thanks for linking up and linking back to catch as catch can
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also started with just one little idea for Valentine's decorating and then couldn't quit! It is all so cute!
    My fave is the jute runner thingy. I'm gonna scout that out tomorrow at Hobby Lobby.
    Thanks for the ideas:)
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  7. I especially love your burlap banner....Looks great! Visiting via Creative Bloggers' Party and Hop

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! I love reading what you think about my projects, recipes, et cetera.