Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Sewing Chair Rescue

I decided that I could not-should not-would not start another project until I finished the chair for my craft room!  So, I put the Valentines' stuff aside and got back to work on the chair!Remember these guys? 

I rescued them from the curb and decided to re-do them.  The first one wound-up being painted and used on the porch (see post).  The second one is now in my sewing room.....take a look at its journey.

I put it in the corner so you can see it with the curtains....it actually belongs at the desk!


First, I stripped the old stained fabric off of the whole chair. I mentioned in a previous post that there were a LOT of staples in this thing....seriously, the person responsible for this was really into staples!


The cushion was in great shape and the cardboard backing was also intact (yea!).  So after sanding it down, I spray painted the whole thing.  I decided to have fun with the color since I was going to put it in my craft room.  The colors in my house are muted, but my craft room should be fun and bright, right?  Sun Yellow! 

I found this awesome fabric at Hobby Lobby this past Spring when I was making curtains for the room.  When I decided to put the chair in there, I knew that I wanted this fabric again!  It's a bright, cheery, and fun sewing motif.

I wrapped the fabric around the pad and cushion and stapled it into place...not using nearly the amount that were there before. ;^)  I was able to re-use/re-cover the padding and cardboard form for the back of the chair too. 

In order to cover the staples on the back of the chair, I purchased some decorative trim from Hobby Lobby (same type of rope that was on the original chair but in aqua) and glued it in place.

I think it came out pretty cute and it sure brightens the space! It is quite comfortable and I love having a cushy spot to sit when I'm at the desk.






Pin It

This post is linked to: Blackberry Vine's Tuesday To Do #47, Creatively Living: Tell It To Me Tuesday #5, Tales of a Trophy Wife, Not Just a Housewife's Show-Me-What-Ya-Got #59, Oopsey Daisy's Wednesday Wowzers #5, Gingersnap Crafts' Wow Me Wenesday #36, Uncommonly Yours #13, Someday Craft's Whatever Goes Wednesday #102, I Gotta Create!'s Kiss & Tell Week 5, Somewhat Simple's Strut Your Stuff Linky Party, Shabby Creek Cottage's Transformation Thursday, My Repurposed Life's Catch As Catch Can 60, Rustic Crafts' Shabby Shares Saturday,Be Different, Act Normal's Show-and-Tell Saturday,Our DIY Diaries Fab-Not-Drab #5, I Can't Stop Crafting's Head-to-Head Showdown #12, Weekend Wrapup at TaterTots & Jello, Lovely Crafty Home's Lovely Crafty Weekend #58, Wayward Girls' Wayward Weekend #3, Nifty Thrify Sunday #43, Flamingo Toes' Think Pink Sunday #47, Under the Table & Dreaming: Sunday Showcase #87, Homemaker on a Dime's Creative Bloggers Party Hop, Keeping It Simple's Motivate Me Monday #108, CraftOManiac Monday, Singing 3 Little Birds: Inspire Me Monday, http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2012/02/turquoise-lovin-25.html

10 comments:

  1. I have that same fabric in my craft room, but I don't have a really cool chair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That chair turned out AWESOME!!!

    Thanks for linking it up @ Creatively Living!

    --Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic chair makeover! I love the fabric you used, it's so fun! Perfect for sitting on whilst crafting :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your chair..the fabric is amazing. Where did you find it? I just completed my first reupholstery project. I'm also your newest follower. Love it if you'd follow me back

    Marilyn
    4you-withlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This turned out amazing!! The fabric is so bright and happy. Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a happy color and fabric! That's gotta make you feel like sewing when you enter the room :) Thanks for sharing at the Kiss & Tell party over at I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a lovely chair, I have just bought an old fashioned sewing machine table (the kind where your machine folds down into the middle) and a chair like this would look amazing with it. Thanks for the inspiration. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. popping over from craftomaniac - the chair turned out great! i love the fabric

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are featured tonight over at I Gotta Create!
    Thanks for linking up <3 <3
    New party has started, too!
    http://igottacreate.blogspot.com/2012/02/kiss-tell-features-week-5-new-link.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is the best crafting chair I have ever seen! i love love LOVE the fabric! too perfect.

    http://pinwheelsandpeonies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! I love reading what you think about my projects, recipes, et cetera.