Saturday, January 7, 2012

Making Lavash Pizzas

Who doesn't love pizza?  It is full of all things yummy...and fattening!  When I started Weight Watchers Online this past July, I figured pizza was a thing of the past for me...a once-in-a-while splurge.  Then, I discovered Lavash Bread and a homemade pizza alternative that is delicious!! 

I read about Lavash online and heard about it on Hungry Girl's TV show.  HC made some chip/crackers with it that were great.  And, since I was looking for low-fat, high fiber bread alternatives, I set out to find Lavash.  I am able to buy Joseph's brand Lavash at my local Walmart stores (in the deli section).  I haven't found it at my other grocery chains, but I also saw where it can be ordered online.

I started using the Lavash as a sandwhich wrap...so good.  Half-a-sheet is a perfect size wrap for me (and only 1 WW Point+).  Then, I decided to try it as a pizza crust (there are a lot of folks with recipe ideas online...just google "lavash pizza").  It was wonderful and my 9-year old son LOVED it!  He thinks it is the best pizza and is always requesting it!  Gotta love an easy fix that the kiddos will eat, right?
Some pizza ingredients....I always use TURKEY pepperoni
because it is so much lower in fat and calories!

I made pizzas for my parents and they fell in love too!  My mother's birthday was this week and when I asked her what she wanted me to make for the family celebration, she chose Lavash Pizzas.  I made pepperoni and cheese for myself and the kids, and pepperoni with veggies for the other folks (only 5 WW Points+ for 1/2 a pizza).  Everyone raved!  Even if you normally like a thick crust, these are worth a try.  It is also fun to experiment with toppings; keeping it traditional or getting creative!
Place a sheet of Lavash on a cookie sheet or baking stone and lightly spritz with olive oil spray.
After baking, spread your choice of pizza sauce on top (thinly).


Top with your favorite pizza toppings and LOTS of cheese!



Bake until cheese is melted...looks yummy!
This is the recipe I use:

1 sheet of Joseph's Lavash Bread
Olive Oil Spray
1/8 cup of Ragu Pizza Sauce
2/3 cup Italian blend cheeses or low-fat, part-skim Mozzarella (I like WW brand italian mix)
17 pieces (1 serving) of Hormel Turkey Pepperoni
Veggies, black olives, etc.

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Place the lavash sheet on a backing stone or cookie sheet.  Lightly spray the sheet with olive oil.  Bake for about 5 minutes (until the bread is a little bit crisp).  Remove from the oven and top with pizza sauce, cheese, and other pizza toppings.  Bake topped pizza for 7-8 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Hope you enjoy!  Let me know what you think when you try them out.


One serving = 1/2 sheet of Lavash Pizza

7 comments:

  1. This looks yummy! I can't wait to make one. I love that you added the WW info. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting, Katy! I am all about finding some low WW points meals that are yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your guilt-free pizza looks delish! Thanks for linking up! ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Lavash pizza looks lavish for so few ww points!! Thanks so much for sharing this yummy looking creation at the Kiss & Tell party over at my place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! I love a good-tasting, healthy pizza! Thanks for sharing. It's nice to know about that bread!

    --Katie
    @Creatively Living

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never even heard of Lavash bread before-I'm going to try and find some. Thanks for linking up.
    tara @ Tales of a Trophy Wife.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like something I will want to try! Thanks for linking up to my Shabby Shares link party!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! I love reading what you think about my projects, recipes, et cetera.